About two weeks ago, I spent a day believing that I had lost the master images to twenty years of my photography work.
After the initial shock, it was an incredibly freeing experience to leave that history behind.
With some recent prodding by new muses, and this event, I’ve decided to commit to starting from scratch and finding a new voice as a photographer. I look back on my old work and think “good, but you never followed through on a single aesthetic.”
It’s time to change and bring a different singular eye to my work.
A friend of mine pointed me to this site, great tools for sharing proposed routes or actual tracks from motorcycle, car, and hiking trips. It’s sort of a social networking site for trip sharing.
Unfortunately, most of the users seem to be from Oregon, so if you’re a Californian, get busy! I’ve posted my favorites/recent trips.
after three motorcycle trips, I’ve decided to optimize my experience, with cash!!!
- throttle lock (poor man’s cruise control so I can rest my right hand)
- sheepskin seat cover (mexico was hard on my ass, this weekend wasn’t so bad…)
- tail tidy (make the bike look clean when all the bags aren’t on)
- sw-motech bracket and a Givi E52 topcase (some real storage on the bike)
- a new tankbag (even more storage)
- ram mount for my old garmin gps for navigation
I’m thinking of heading off to the playa on the bike for the weekend with a couple other ranger friends…
I just ordered a butt pad for the seat, throttle locks, and a new rack for a top-case, all things I could have used for the Mexico trip… but they won’t be here in time for this next trip. 800 miles on the bike for a couple of days in the dust… why am I even considering this?
proposed packing list:
- water, 2gal/day (Jezz & Jess bringing up)
- dehydrated food in a bag / MREs
- energy bars
- trail mix
- tent + footprint
- sleeping bag
- tiny sleeping bag pad
- 1 pair army pants
- 2-3 t-shirts
- 3-4 shorts
- 4-6 pair socks
- dust mask
- riding pants (no liners)
- riding jacket (no liners)
- ipod + headphones, book?
- toiletries bag & drugs
- solar charger
- suntan lotion
- flat fixer
- tool kit
- camelback? (ugh)
- garbage bag
- ziplock bags
- camping silverware & plate
- naglene bottle or other mug for drinks
- first aid kit (tiny)
- small baby wipes
- hand/foot lotion
Nice to have if taking something bigger than bike…
- rebar tent stakes, and hammer, and puller
- camp chair
- booze & lots of beer
- camp stove & mess kit
- ice chest & ice
- duct tape
- solar shower
- more shade
- ham & frs radios
Entry update post-trip:
Next time, do not bring:
- solio –it sucks, get a better solar charger, maybe one that does AA batteries?
- ham radio
- so much food — only ate one to two meals/day
- fewer shorts and socks
- vinegar — foot lotion works fine
Next time, bring:
- figure out a clean way to store/hold bag liners et al if the back of a car isn’t available
- don’t go motorcycle camping on the playa, just use a damn 4×4 next time
- more booze, more beer
- shade structure for tent
- camp chair
- snow-peak micro camp stove
- army style tent stakes (optional)