Heading down near Santa Margarita for the week to hang out with friends.
Someone suggested this route:
Seems like a nice idea, explore earthquake country…
Parkfield is the most active part of the San Andreas fault. Almost constant tremors and quakes. I may skip the Parkfield loop if it’s too hot… 😦
A friend of mine pointed me to this site, great tools for sharing proposed routes or actual tracks from motorcycle, car, and hiking trips. It’s sort of a social networking site for trip sharing.
Unfortunately, most of the users seem to be from Oregon, so if you’re a Californian, get busy! I’ve posted my favorites/recent trips.
I’m planning on heading up to Tahoe this week on the bike to stay with some friends at their cabin.
This is the route I’m considering —
- cross the bridge to 84
- east on tesla road to stockton (pashnit.com suggestion)
- north on 88 to ione
- hit sutter ione road (pashnit.com suggestion)
- hit fiddletown road (pashnit.com suggestion)
- up 88 to 89 into tahoe
after three motorcycle trips, I’ve decided to optimize my experience, with cash!!!
- throttle lock (poor man’s cruise control so I can rest my right hand)
- sheepskin seat cover (mexico was hard on my ass, this weekend wasn’t so bad…)
- tail tidy (make the bike look clean when all the bags aren’t on)
- sw-motech bracket and a Givi E52 topcase (some real storage on the bike)
- a new tankbag (even more storage)
- ram mount for my old garmin gps for navigation
Our (anattadoll, bearandbobcat, and my) camp this morning at sunrise.
(a) everything takes longer with four people
(b) make sure people are paying attention when you propose meetup-points
(c) I need a more comfy seat for the bike
(d) don’t eat the fish taco’s at “El Fenix” unless you already have food poisoning (two of our group got sick, I didn’t because I was still recovering from food poisoning)
I’m thinking of heading off to the playa on the bike for the weekend with a couple other ranger friends…
I just ordered a butt pad for the seat, throttle locks, and a new rack for a top-case, all things I could have used for the Mexico trip… but they won’t be here in time for this next trip. 800 miles on the bike for a couple of days in the dust… why am I even considering this?
proposed packing list:
- water, 2gal/day (Jezz & Jess bringing up)
- dehydrated food in a bag / MREs
- energy bars
- trail mix
- tent + footprint
- sleeping bag
- tiny sleeping bag pad
- 1 pair army pants
- 2-3 t-shirts
- 3-4 shorts
- 4-6 pair socks
- dust mask
- riding pants (no liners)
- riding jacket (no liners)
- ipod + headphones, book?
- toiletries bag & drugs
- solar charger
- suntan lotion
- flat fixer
- tool kit
- camelback? (ugh)
- garbage bag
- ziplock bags
- camping silverware & plate
- naglene bottle or other mug for drinks
- first aid kit (tiny)
- small baby wipes
- hand/foot lotion
Nice to have if taking something bigger than bike…
- rebar tent stakes, and hammer, and puller
- camp chair
- booze & lots of beer
- camp stove & mess kit
- ice chest & ice
- duct tape
- solar shower
- more shade
- ham & frs radios
Entry update post-trip:
Next time, do not bring:
- solio –it sucks, get a better solar charger, maybe one that does AA batteries?
- ham radio
- so much food — only ate one to two meals/day
- fewer shorts and socks
- vinegar — foot lotion works fine
Next time, bring:
- figure out a clean way to store/hold bag liners et al if the back of a car isn’t available
- don’t go motorcycle camping on the playa, just use a damn 4×4 next time
- more booze, more beer
- shade structure for tent
- camp chair
- snow-peak micro camp stove
- army style tent stakes (optional)
Phoenix, Yv, Anton and I are heading out this weekend. This is my first ever motorcycle tour and it’s a shake-out for a week long in Baja this summer. I’m fighting with the urge to not over-pack (this list is already waaaaay too long).
Leaving San Francisco, up highway 1, stopping in Jenner for lunch, probably Mendocino for dinner, then onto Orr springs. Pick up breakfast supplies in Mendocino, leave Orr around one or two, quick zip home to SF.
Afterparty on Sunday at Jade Bar (the Liquid Munch).
- two bottles of wine for sat night
- two motorcycle tool kits
- flat fixer
- convertible first-gear jacket & pants (hot on 101, cold on 1)
- towel (always know where your towel is)
- ipod + sound isolating headphones
- non-melty snack bars
- hydration backpack? eh… maybe just a bottle in tankbag
- AAA map
- small camera
Splurged and bought a tank bag, also have a big roll, so I have way more luggage than I need. Will probably leave roll at home, and just take tank bag and panniers.